6.5.13

INSOMNIA FOR THE MAD DIY'ER!

I couldn’t sleep, it was cold outside & I was unable to really take care of my backyard projects. I waited to go treasure hunting since I started watching a 1975 Robert Redford movie & I was really intrigued by the movie & researching what to do with all my cedar shavings. (more on that later). Finally it was time, 2am I decided to drive around a nearby neighborhood that is scheduled for bulk pick up.  If you don’t know what bulk pick up is, this is a time where you can purge your house of anything that you don’t want; Toilets, Furniture, Appliances & other misc. items, place it on the curb & not get charged for it. The city schedules this usually 2 times a year. I don’t like to dig during the day, since I feel like I am standing their naked & everyone is staring. Also, deep down inside, I feel if I missed something great, it wasn’t meant to be & it will help me reign in my DIY projects.  Like I stated before, I am known to start multiple projects at the same time, or I will start thinking of what I need for another project & keep that in mind just in case I find a freebie.  So I take off, at 2am on the prowl for one major thing in mind, a desk chair for the guest bedroom.  Other items that I have in mind are storage items for the garage (last project on my road of DIY at home), items I can flip (a DIY’er needs to support her habit), dresser & dresser drawers (master bedroom & a doggy project) & OLD sturdy, weathered wood.  JACKPOT!!! I FOUND A CHAIR- I sat on it, I wiggled it, I made sure it had good bones! It looks ugly, but I see pretty chair! I also found table legs. Funny thing, the neighbor came home from the bar & sat there watching me while I unscrewed the table legs. He was probably thinking why the heck ? Why wont you just take the whole table, it was decent. But I didn’t want to. I wanted to make another barn yard table. So there it is, new items, placed on hold & the weather is beautiful today. I get to help out a friend put up a shelf; in return she is giving me some metal chairs. YEEP!!! I am so excited.  
My New Find! Fits perfect in the guest bedroom!
 
AUSTIN PEEPS- BULK PICK UP IS AROUND THE CORNER & PEOPLE ARE GETTING RID OF THINGS. FIND THE NEIGHBORHOODS THAT ARE SCHEDULED SOON & TAKE A DRIVE, WHO KNOWS, WE MAY BUMP INTO EA. OTHER! :)
TIP:  Bring a flashlight, gloves, screwdriver (Phillips & flat head), and maybe a set of pliers. Watch your surroundings & park safely. Best time to go out is at night after everyone has just purged out new items; look online for your bulk pick up schedule & drive around to find your next amazing item!
~Mel
My views are sometimes crazy & strange, however it produces something out of nothing! You can do this too, if you open your eyes, think outside of your box, your circle or what ever shape your in. I am not responsible if you collect items & you turn your lawn or house into a new version of junkyard Samford & Son or if you get bitten by an insect, an animal or a zombie!  Please keep me in mind if you do find something AHH-mazing, & send me a pic & share your project story ! It will make my DIY heart happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment