21.4.13

The Scoop on the Coop, The Run & the Nesting Box - Part II

NESTING BOX
A nice big nesting box so we can sleep & rest & lay lots of pretty delicious eggs for our family....
NOT!!!! We have 3 large nesting boxes, do the hens love it? NO - They like to roost, the silkies from time to time will lie in the nesting box, but now that it is getting warmer they decided to lay underneath the hens who are roosting & get pooped on. WIERDO'S.
As I have been told the Chicklets are still young & immature & I need to help them out a little. Place a FAKE plastic, ceramic, wooden (painted of course) EGG in the nesting box so they can practice & decide it's time to lay eggs. SERIOUSLY?  UPDATE: A friend said to use golf balls, swears by them. Which ones? Should I research golf digest? Callaway, Bridgestone.... Nike ~ Just do it? That fits!
I haven't tried this method yet, I kind of like their immature side right now, they make me laugh. So I am going to hold off until I COMPLETELY finish the details in their COOP. - More to come on that one.
So here are the pics of their nesting box & the limb they love to roost on.
I added above storage for misc. stuff like the broom, basket & water bottle.
A ~2x6  closes back gap
B~ 1x2  brace

A branch I found from the green belt by our house & I took the saw & notched out the top
I screwed it in from the back side.
from the inside 
Cost for nesting box
* $13 for pressed board - included in the coop price
$6 - white wood board
$0.50 for pt 1x2 (cull lumber)
$0.75 X for hinges
exterior free & reused
ONLY
$20.25
this is not including hinges, screws, or taxes
NOW THE RUN -
Ever have them, “oh poop” moment? Thinking what the heck am I doing & what did I start?
We had that moment when we were starting the ramp & the run. We didn’t know how long or how far, how tall or how wide we wanted it. We did know that it must be tall enough that we can comfortably walk in & out of. So with this in mind we started to look for wire. My husband & I went back & forth on which wire we wanted to use; he wanted the typical chicken wire, while I wanted more of the square simple one. I won! We stuck with the square wire & decided on the length & width.
We opted to make the run simple & just added a flooring of wire, to keep "that their critters" out & kept the roof flat. By no means are we master carpenters, so we do what we know we can & adjust the pitch of the roof with molding & tin. The run didn't take long to make, it was flattening the wire to the ground and attaching it to the side wire that took the longest. After a few blisters, sore fingers & cramped legs (sitting criss cross), it was finally complete.
THE WOOD- We used pressure treated wood for the perimeter of the floor & WHITE WOOD for the sides (cheaper) RECOMMENDED? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! - However, we stained & sealed the wood & the roof with oops stain $5 - a little more work, but we are happy with it & our wallets are thankfull.
THE HARDWARE-  if you have a restore around go check it out. We have one in Austin & I absolutely LOVE IT & can spend hours. It could be dangerous. However, you can get a steal on items. Hardware that usually cost $6 a pop at hte big box stores ranges from $0.75 to $1.50. CRAZY CHEAP! So now for the RUN.
Side View
Einstein eating!
the roof & the connection
the connection to the coop
 the wire from the ground, attached to the side wire.
The roof
 A~ $0.75 hinge (habitat for humanity)
B~ T hinge $3.00 for all 6
C~ strap $1.75 for pkgs of 2
E~ washers & drywall screws to hold the wire
TOTAL
$65.10
this is INCLUDING the roof,  NOT including hardware (washers, hinges, taxes or screws)
I will draw my cheesy plans as soon as I can & post them up, but for now this is it. Roof & Minor details coming soon, still thinking of a name for the coop so I can add it into my plans.
Spark any ideas? 
Details, Roofing & Hardware coming soon!
~Mel
Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential ideas that spark the building of a coop or any other structure at your home, neighbors house or any family members dwelling.


No comments:

Post a Comment