18.4.13

IKEA -Malm Dresser turned Sophisticated.


A little lipstick goes along way, or so I like to think. I cannot stress enough the importance of reusing, repurposing the furniture you already have. It not only saves you money, but it also saves you time from shopping around for something else. Questions to ask yourself; does it function in the new space? Can I use it for storage? Can I make it match my décor?

 The kiddo has limited closet space & omitting her dresser was not an option. Ikea has great sales so keep an eye out on those fliers. The Malm dresser was purchased for only $35, great price for something new. REMINDER – if you buy it new from IKEA, you have to assemble it & believe me, assembling things from IKEA is not that fun. So the dresser needed to stay but it needed a little vavavoom. I searched online on how to repaint & revamp old dressers & found a slew of IKEA furniture hacks. I didn’t want to do a template or a mural on it & I loved the color as it worked with the room.  As you know, I am a DIY’er night owl & sadly when my ideas come to light, none of the stores are open except for Walmart. They sell fabric & though I didn’t have anything certain in mind, I decided to walk around for inspiration.

I ended up finding a clearance vinyl/ pleather textured fabric. It was perfect. It added enough detail without taking away from the green mural behind it.

ITEMS YOU NEED:  fabric, utility knife, adhesive, sanding block, dresser

 
I cleaned the area first then sanded the drawer so the adhesive can stick a little more.



Now you can measure & make a  template to size, however I just layed the  drawer front on to the back side of the fabric & traced it, cut it out & placed the fabric on. Make sure it is smooth with no bubbles or wrinkles.
I then let the fabric & adhesive adhere overnight. (7-8 hrs in my case)
 
Once it's dried, I went back & trimmed any excess fabric off, with a sharp exacto knife .
 
 here is the detail of the fabric

the finished project 
 
Now I really wanted to add some crystal knobs for some added bling, however knowing that I will change her room again while  she is off to college, I decided to keep it as is & change it up later.
~Mel
Caution; for serious DIY'ers only, if condition persists, please consult a physician.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment